Frequently asked questions
- - Are meals included?
- - Can I cancel my booking?
- - How are roommates assigned in twin rooms?
- - What is the smoking policy?
- - Under-18s
- - What are the superior studios at Marina like?
- - What about the duplexes at Marina?
- - Who are the Resident Assistants?
- - What type of people normally rent rooms with you? (age, nationality...)
- - I don’t start classes until the 20th: can I pay for only half of the first month?
- Are meals included?
- Melon District Marina: Meals aren’t included in the price, but you can request half board, with meals served at the residence’s Melon Cafe.
- Melon District Poble Sec has a Melon Cafe open for breakfast. Other meals are not available.
- Can I cancel my booking?
- If you cancel at least 2 months before the contract start date, the first month of rent and the security deposit will be refunded, but not the registration fee.
- If you cancel less than 2 months before the contract start date, the security deposit will be refunded, but not the first month of rent or the registration fee.
- Once the accommodation contract has begun, residents who cancel it either voluntarily or involuntarily - including being expelled - before the end date will not receive a refund of any kind.
- How are roommates assigned in twin rooms?
- If you book a twin room and want to share it with a friend, notify the reservations department. Both you and your friend must be staying for the same length of time: i.e. checking in and out in the same month.
- If you reserve a place in a twin room and you don’t ask to share it with a friend, Melon District will assign you a roommate of the same sex. As far as possible, Melon District will try to assign you a roommate around your age, who speaks the same languages and/or who studies the same subject as you or at the same university.
- What is the smoking policy?
The Melon District residences are smoke-free, smoking is forbidden in all rooms and kitchens.
At Melon District Marina there are designated smoking areas in the exterior patios between the buildings and on the terraces.
In the case of students who are under 18 on the start date of their contract (the 1st of the month they check in), their parents will have to sign a specific contract under which they assume responsibility for their children’s welfare at the residence.
- What are the superior studios at Marina like?
They are studios designed for couples or residents who want extra space and privacy.
The price is the same regardless of whether they are occupied by one or two people.
If occupied by 1 person, there is no extra charge for guests, although you do have to register them.
These rooms are ideal for teachers or researchers who are staying in Barcelona for 2 or 3 months and are visited by their partner on weekends.
Studios at Marina always include weekly cleaning of the room, as well as the changing of towels and sheets.
- What about the duplexes at Marina?
These are rooms set over two levels, with the bed and bathroom downstairs and the study area upstairs on a mezzanine.
They are ideal rooms for students who need a bigger desk area, including architects and designers.
Note: the staircase up to the mezzanine is very steep.
- Who are the Resident Assistants?
In September 2011, the residences introduced the figure of the Resident Assistant. There are 2 in Poble Sec and 8 in Marina.
This figure works to boost communication between the residents and the management, so as to improve day-to-day life at the residence. As a reward for their work, assistants get a big discount on their rent.
The operations department is in charge of recruiting and selecting Resident Assistants according to specific criteria.
- What type of people normally rent rooms with you? (age, nationality...)
Broadly speaking, students living at the Melon District residences are aged between 18 and 25, as they often come to study degrees or Masters courses at one of Barcelona’s universities.
We have had students from up to 50 different countries. At Melon District Spaniards from all over the country have lived side-by-side with French, German, Russian, American, Colombian, Portuguese, Dutch and Italian students, among others.
- I don’t start classes until the 20th: can I pay for only half of the first month?
Melon District doesn’t prorate rent depending on residents’ check-in or check-out dates. All contracts begin on the 1st day of the month you check in and end on the 30th or 31st of the month you leave.